Friday, June 8, 2012

Recipe - Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancakes)

Okonomiyaki - The name is derived from the word okonomi, meaning "what you like" or "what you want", and yaki meaning "grilled" or "cooked". -Wikipedia translation


It actually translates into hella yummy.

Its a great hearty snack that can include a variety of ingredients.  I've made them with shrimp and kimchee before. But the recipe that I am sharing today is my favorite combination.

Things you'll need:
1/2 head of green cabbage finely shredded
3 green onions chopped
1 cup of flour
1/2 cup of water
2 eggs
1 tablespoon of Furiake
4-6 pieces of bacon (cut into 2 inch pieces)
vegetable oil for pan
Toppings:
Tonkatsu Sauce (I choose this over the okonomiyaki sauce -see why below)

Shred your cabbage.

Chop your green onions. I cut them "fancy style" on the diagonal.

Prep your batter base. Eggs, flour & water. - Mix them well.


Add about 1 tablespoon of Furiake. (I've included an Amazon link but if you are local or have access to an Asian grocer you can easily find this there. I purchased this atUwajimaya locally.)

Add the cabbage & onions to the batter. Coat your cabbage well.

Cut your bacon into 2 inch pieces.

Prep your pan (I used my trusty cast iron skillet that I love dearly) set onto medium-high heat add a splash of oil.

When the pan is hot scoop in a heaping spoonful of the mixture into the pan.


Place 2-3 pieces of bacon on top of your "heaps".

Flip them over when the batter starts to brown. It takes about 3 minutes or so to cook on each side - depending on your pan. 

Set the cooked pancake on top of a few paper towels for a minute to soak up extra oils.
Serve warm.

Top with Tonkatsu Sauce or Okonomiyaki Sauce (the tonkatsu sauce is less expensive and not as sweet as the okonomiyaki sauce) & Kewpie Mayonaise.

Have fun making these & experimenting with things you can add.
Enjoy!
xo-Thea

Okonomiyaki


No comments:

Post a Comment