Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Life Without A Microwave

Over the weekend our microwave died. No rhyme or reason as to why. No big explosions, or even any weird electrical burning smells. It just quit. It was only 6 months old.

R.I.P.  microwave
You would think a family of 6 would immediately run out and go purchase another one right? Not in our case. I jokingly said, "Well no more microwave for us." My two oldest kids then said, "Oh we'll be just like our friends."
What? Their friends also have a family of 6, our kids are all pretty much the same age. They've been living without a microwave for years. All of a sudden I felt like I was not a part of some big slow food movement thing. I posted a little mention of this "experiment" on my Facebook and I was surprised how many don't have one or don't use the one they have. Of course I got responses like 'Umm just go to Walmart and get another one." "How did anyone survive before microwaves!"
We'll we're going to give it a try. So far no one has complained, except for me. I used to reheat my coffee a lot.  A few think I'm insane but I'm an insane lady with a lot more counter space!
A microwave that dies after 6 months is just another "disposable" thing that I'm not interested in.
How about you? Do you have a microwave? Do you use it or does it just take up space? I'm really interested to know.



  1. Hi Thea! We got rid of our microwave a few years ago, when it almost electrocuted me. It took us a while to get used to not having one. I mostly used it to make microwave popcorn and heating up my kiddies' milk. That was 3 years ago and I haven't missed it. And I love the extra counter space. :)

    1. Hi Leslie~
      I would've booted my microwave too if it almost electrocuted me! :) I have to say I didn't realize just how much counter space that thing took up. Its definitely a nice welcome to my kitchen. Thanks so much for your comment - Thea