Friday, January 27, 2012

Book Review: How to Sew a Button

The truth is I'm an old timer when it comes to domestic stuff.
My parents divorced when I was 9 and I chose to live with my dad. Thus I became the lady of the house.
At 9 years old I knew how to do laundry, cook easy things like eggs and yes the joke about me chopping wood is true. I was a little lumberjack. I still prefer chopping wood over jogging. I never turned back, I was always the cook, toilet fixer & more.

I realize that many didn't get to experience that until college. So I thought I'd toss out a few recommended readings for those who are just beginning their journey.
The first one is How to Sew a Button: And Other Nifty Things Your Grandmother Knew By Erin Bried.



This book introduces you to some domestic basics as you can guess from the title. Its truly a helpful book if you are a beginner.


Tips and tricks accumulated from a few grandmothers, this book gives you ideas on just about everything.
How to plan a week's menu, how to make gravy, how to start a windowsill garden, how to clean stuff naturally - that one has been a big surprise to me that it was sorta an unknown that you can use water & white vinegar to clean a ton of stuff.  There's tons more. Like how to make dandelion wine! That one was actually new to me. 
I think this book would be a perfect gift for a newlywed who isn't confident yet of domestic skills or a college student. Its great to take pride in your home and what you can do for yourself, even if everything isn't "perfect". 

Most importantly its good to try stuff out. You never know you might have a knack for gravy making.

:)

Thea



No comments:

Post a Comment